Iron Yoga is rooted in the principles of both yoga’s mind-body-spirit connection and weight training’s mind-muscle connection. An Iron Yoga class will include a combination of standing, seated, prone and supine poses as well as isolation and compound exercises, or movements. An isolation movement targets only one muscle group (ie. bicep curl, tricep kickback), while a compound movement combines two or more joints and targets large or primary muscle groups (ie. chest press targeting the back and shoulders using the elbow and shoulder joints).
This combination of weight training and yoga will help you:
- improve lean muscle mass
- increase flexibility and range of motion
- sharpen mental focus and concentration skills
- develop proper breathing techniques
- enhance functional strength and muscular endurance in your legs and core areas
- reduce stress and tension
- create balance and symmetry in both body and mind
Light weights recommended, but not required.